Sunday, December 27, 2009

Bobby "Blue" BLAND - His California Album 1973


Bobby "Blue" BLAND - His California Album 1973
DSX 50163

Blues

A nice little record from Bobby -- quite different from his 60s sides for Duke/Peacock, and recorded in California (as you might guess from the title!) with a smoother more soulful approach. The style works well for Bobby -- and kind of gave him a new lease on life during the 70s, as he mixed his rougher bluesy vocals with some hipper arrangements -- still quite deep in soul, but with a compressed sound that creates a new mode of expression. Titles include "Goin Down Slow", "Up & Down World", "Help Me Through The Day", "Where My Baby Went", "Friday The 13th Child", "This Time I'm Gone For Good", and "I've Got To Use My Imagination". 
From Dusty Groove.
**
And his first for ABC-Dunhill in 1973 after more than two decades with Duke (Robey's still represented, though, under his songwriting alias of Deadric Malone on four cuts, including the album's biggest hit, "This Time I'm Gone for Good"). Producer Steve Barri contemporized Bland by having him cover Leon Russell's "Help Me Make It Through the Day," Luther Ingram's "(If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want to Be Right," and Gladys Knight & the Pips' "I've Got to Use My Imagination."
By Bill Dahl, All Music Guide.
**
Bobby Blue Bland - Vocals
Ben Benay,David Cohen,Larry Carlton,Mel Brown,Dean Parks - Guitar
Chuck Findley,Paul Hubinon,Dick Hyde,Ernie Watts,Jack Kelson Jr. - Horns
Michael Omartian - Piano,organ
Wilton Felder,Max Bennett - Bass
Ed Greene - Drums
Ginger Blake,Julia Tillman,Maxine Willard - Background Vocals
**
A1 This Time I'm Gone for Good  3:33
A2 Up and Down World  3:29
A3 It's Not the Spotlight  3:52
A4 (If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want to Be Right)  3:50
A5 Goin' Down Slow  5:35
B1 The Right Place at the Right Time  2:57
B2 Help Me Through the Day  3:50
B3 Where My Baby Went  3:19
B4 Friday the 13th Child  3:14
B5 I've Got to Use My Imagination  4:14
**
NoPassword
*
DLink
*

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this fine piece
    quite a nice collection/blog you have there
    have a good 2010
    cheers

    ReplyDelete