Thursday, October 29, 2009

Sherman ROBERTSON - Going Back Home 1998


Sherman ROBERTSON - Going Back Home 1998

Blues

Some years ago I saw Sherman Robertson at one of his live concerts, in a small open arena. I was sitting in the first row, really close to the stage, and I was deeply struck by his guitar style. A mid-crunch sound (he was playing a Gibson 335 semi-acoustic guitar), with a nice choice of straight classic blues notes, essential and effective. I had never met him before and it was a surprise and a really enjoyable experience. After some years, I bought this record and here I found again the same atmosphere and most of those songs: except for a couple of ballads, a "zydeco" and a swing-styled piece, the record shows a nice selection of pure rhythm and blues tracks, with the same guitar set and a very good band of musicians (some of them coming from the Little Feat experience). Last, but not least, the quality of the recording is really high (one of the best I have ever found in such works). If you like blues and blues guitar players, I think this record and Mr. Robertson will not disappoint you.
By Riccardo Frau.
**
Sherman Robinson squeezes his Gibson 355 with conviction on Going Back Home (AudioQuest AQ-CD1050;). The aggressive opener, "Guitar Man," sets the tone for this six-string attack. A decided Albert Collins influence comes across on the stinging Texas shuffle "I Don't Want No Woman" and he squeezes the juice out of every note on Johnny Copeland's slow blues, "Me, My Guitar and the Blues." Backed by his capable band of pianist Bill Payne and drummer Richie Hayward of Little Feat, bassist Bob Glaub of John Fogerty's band, and tenor sax ace Joe Sublett of the Texacali Horns, Robinson puts a Texas roadhouse feel on the Albert King staple "Don't Throw Your Love On Me So Strong" and he makes some eloquent statements on the slow minor key blues "I Wonder Why." "Fall in Love" is a return to Robinson's Louisiana roots, via the second line rhythms while "Special Kind of Love" is a jaunty horn-driven shuffle that could go over with today's neo-swing set. He finishes strong with plaintive vocals and urgent blue notes on one of seven originals, "Driving All Night." Highly recommended for blues fans and guitar enthusiasts in particular.
By Bill Milkowski.
**
Bill Payne- Organ (Hammond), Piano, Piano (Electric)
Bob Glaub- Bass
Joe Sublett- Sax (Tenor)
Richard Hayward- Drums
Sherman Robertson- Guitar, Vocals
**
01. Guitar Man
02. I Don't Want No Woman
03. Me, My Guitar And The Blues
04. Going Back Home
05. Everybody Loves Somebody
06. Don't Throw Your Love On Me So Strong
07. I Wonder Why
08. Fall In Love
09. Special Kind Of Loving
10.Looking At The Bottom
11. Driving All Night
**
NoPassword
*
DLink
*

No comments:

Post a Comment